10 Diet Secrets For A Glowing Skin This Winter
The dry, harsh and chilly winter season can take a heavy toll on human skin. Dullness and dehydration often seizes the healthy summer glow. Thus, the urge to pile on cold cream or reach out for a heavy moisturizer often, can be huge. But apart from these external skin treatments, diet plays a significant role in improving skin health. Winter is when your skin needs most of the vitamins, nutrients and anti-oxidants.
10 Winter Diet Secrets for glowing skin:
1. A Fishy Diet
Fish is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, that helps lock skin moisture and has anti-inflammatory properties. People prone to aczema should try to eat fish at least 3 times a week. And oh! Eating fish is said to improve mental health too.
Don’t like fish? The answer is fish oil supplements.
2. Colorful Fruits And Berries
A daily bowl of fresh, colorful fruits works like magic pills and is a must for any long-lasting skin-care routine.
- Amla (gooseberry) is high in vitamins and aids in collagen synthesis, thereby promoting youthful skin. Is it any wonder that ancient Hindu scriptures considered amla a sacred fruit that sprang from drops of amrit (holy water)?
- Grapefruit, besides its rich vitamin C content, has lycopene, potassium, amino acids and a unique phytochemical known as naringin that imparts a healthy skin glow
- Avocados work wonders for the skin. It is rich in vitamins A, C, E, magnesium, potassium, folic acid and healthy mono-unsaturated fats
- Anti-oxidants rich apples help prevent skin cell damage
- Papaya has an enzyme call papain that aids in the removal of dead skin cells
3. Crunchy Vegetable Salad
Pamper your skin with a bowl of colorful fresh vegetables!
- Carrots contain carotenoids, beta-carotene and lycopene that give skin a breather from sun-damage. It also helps combat uneven skin-tone, wrinkles and dryness
- Beetroots are rich in anthocyanins, a powerful antioxidant that helps prevent pre-mature skin ageing and clears complexion
- The slightly acidic property of tomatoes helps tighten skin pores and fight pimples
4. Dark Green Vegetables
Have steamed/roasted or blanched dark vegetables to get your daily dose of B-vitamins and nutrients.
- Spinach contains iron, vitamins A, C, anti-oxidants and other nutrients. These help strengthen skin tissues, flush out toxins improve blood circulation and fight sun damage
- Broccoli is packed with skin boosting essentials like vitamins A, C, B and natural estrogens that protect the skin cells
5. Sprinkle Some Pumpkin Seeds
These little seeds are packed with zinc, a vital component for skin cell renewal. The results are-clear complexion, improved skin tone and oil control.
6. A Drizzle Of Oil
Add some olive oil to your salad to prevent premature skin ageing, improve skin elasticity and protect from free radical damage.
When it comes to cooking, consider coconut oil to bid goodbye to dry, dull skin. Yes, the trusted coconut oil is again, the answer to all our beauty woes.
Flaxseed oil and rice bran oil are good sources of omega-3 fatty acids that improve the quality of the blood and skin.
7. A Handful Of Almonds
Almonds are a rich source of vitamin E and powerful anti-oxidants. Regular consumption makes the skin healthy, nourished and youthful.
8. A Cube Of Dark Chocolate
Flavonols, found in dark chocolates, are a powerful anti-oxidant that protects skin from UV damage, free radicals and improves blood circulation. Eat a small square or two of this delicious chocolate, that with at least 70% cocoa content, everyday for radiant skin.
9. A Cup Of Yoghurt
Yoghurts have healthy gut bacteria that help fight indigestion, acidity and low immunity. Gut health is closely related to skin health. Yoghurt with fruits and berries – a yummy skin food!
10. A Cup Of Tea
Enjoy the benefits of healthy skin while blissfully sipping on warm cups of tea.
Green tea is rich in antioxidants and daily consumption benefits your skin health.
A cup of strong milk tea, to many, is a regular routine which just cannot be replaced. Want to get glowing skin? Have masala chai. Add few cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper, bay leaves or ginger while preparing the regular milk-tea. This fragrant concoction boosts blood circulation and instantly wakes up the skin.