Naturally radiant and glowing skin is what we all desire. Nevertheless, hold on before you book an appointment to a skin specialist or swipe your card for that exotic beauty product. Read our list of common but major skin care mistakes. Are you committing any of these mistakes?
1. PILING ON PRODUCTS
- You flip through a beauty magazine, read rave reviews about a new product or a treatment and you go ‘Wow! I need to try that’! We’ve all been there, done that but honestly, heaping products on your delicate skin, though excellent separately, can do more harm than good
- A good cleanser, moisturiser and a sunscreen are all you need
- If you feel the need of serums for skin treatment, use one type at a time, alternate if you must
- Scrubs, facemasks and packs need not be a part of your daily routine, once a week should be enough
2. TOO LAZY TO REMOVE MAKEUP BEFORE BED-TIME
- It happens to everyone. After running errands like crazy, all you want at the end of the day is to shut your eyes. But take a few minutes, cleanse your face of all dirt and grime, apply a night cream and then snuggle up in bed
- If you are too tired, just use makeup wipes. Always remove your makeup
3. OVER CLEANSING AND EXFOLIATING
- Do you cleanse, exfoliate or seek treatments more often than required? You’re, most probably, over stressing and sadly, robbing your skin of its natural protective oils
- Yes, the night-time cleansing routine is a must. But you actually don’t need to reach for a cleanser as soon as you wake up in the morning. The oils that your skin secretes while you get your beauty sleep is balancing and hydrating. So let it sink a while
4. SKIPPING/NOT USING THE RIGHT SUNSCREEN
- This is something that has been stressed by many beauty experts and we are repeating once more – do not skip the sunscreen
- Be it summer, winter or staying indoors, always use a sunscreen with proper SPF and that which is suitable to your skin type
5. WEARING MAKE-UP TO THE GYM
- Your daily exercise routine works wonders for your skin! As you sweat, your body releases toxins and your skin breathes. But when you wear foundation or makeup during workouts, you’re clogging the skin’s pores and risking breakouts
- So keep your skin clean and if you feel the need, just use a light oil-free moisturizer
6. LOOKING FOR QUICK FIX REMEDIES
- Who doesn’t love quick-fix solutions? But the problem with such products is that these often contain harsh chemicals. In the long run, it will do more harm than good
- Most of these products contain benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid, so we recommend seeking the advice of a trusted dermatologist before putting it on your skin
7. UNHYGIENIC BEAUTY TOOLS
- Your colleague offers you a bag of chips or a cookie and you reach out to take a bite. Do you wash your hands soon afterwards?
- When was the last time you checked the expiry date of your makeup products and cleaned the brushes? Expensive creams are not going to help if oil and grime are what you’re putting on your skin
8. NOT GETTING ENOUGH SLEEP
- There’s a reason why people call it ‘beauty sleep’. You cannot afford to miss your daily 6-8 hrs of sleep if glowing skin is what you want
9. MESSY BED
- Your bed sheet and pillow case should be changed atleast once a week
- And if you have long hair or side/front bangs, always pull the hair off your face with a headband before bedtime
10. UNHEALTHY DIET AND LACK OF EXERCISE
- Lack of good diet, exercise and sleep is a common modern day problem. Between rushing to office, meeting deadlines, active social life and staying updated on your online life, who has the time? Or is it?
- For once focus on your body and mind, you will realise the importance of healthy living. Unhealthy lifestyle and diet harms your body and skin
Ever thought why some people never seem to age? Well there’s your answer – healthy diet, staying hydrated (atleast 8 glasses of water daily), regular workout and basic ‘proper’ skincare.