Hair Transplant: The Solution To Your Baldness
Dealing with baldness is no easy task. While some choose to embrace it gracefully, it might be harder for many others. Especially if the baldness has set in earlier than expected. Wigs and caps could keep that well hidden, but even then, the longing for your natural hair doesn’t go away. Hair transplant can help bring back what you lost.
What Is Hair Transplant?
Hair transplant is a delicate, surgical procedure to restore lost hair. Interestingly, there is no external insertion of fiber but use of the patient’s healthy hair particles. Hair transplant actually shifts individual hair follicles from spot on the head to another balding spot. Also known as the “donor site” and the “recipient site”. There are two main ways in which donor hair is harvested:
- Strip Harvesting: A strip of skin from the posterior scalp is harvested in an area of good hair-growth. Scalpels are used to remove hair-bearing tissues from the donor sites
- Follicular Unit Extraction: Tiny punches are used to remove individual follicular units. The recipient sites are punctured with micro blades. And then, the individual grafts are placed in a predetermined density and pattern. Each follicular unit contains one to four hair strands
How Does Hair Transplant Work?
After the surgery, a bit of redness and stiffness in the scalp can be expected. The newly transplanted hair follicles begin to grow after a span of three to four months. The newly grafted patches take some time to adjust and blend in. Thereafter, they begin to function and grow naturally.
Hair Transplant Costs
The costs involved in a hair transplant procedure vary due to a number of factors. The level of baldness and the number of surgical grafts that are required make it more or less expensive accordingly. The costs also differ from city to city. You can get each graft at as less as Rs. 45 at several clinics. The higher range falls between Rs. 70-80 per graft.
Precautions After A Transplant
- On-Time Medication And Regular Visits To The Doctor
Take your prescribed aftercare medication on time. It is important for reducing any swelling and chances of infection
- Extra-Care For The Scalp
Do not touch your scalp under any circumstances
- The Right Position Of The Head
Keep your head elevated so that the swelling can remain in control. It is recommended to use a reclining chair for sleep so that the head is held in a safe position
- Protection From The Sun
Avoid the sun as much as you can. The UV rays and the bright light can harm your sensitive skin more than you can imagine
- Keep The Sweating Under Control
Stay away from places and activities that can make you sweat. Sweating can led to infections on the scalp. So, no exercise or sauna for at least some time
- Eat Healthy
Alcohol and spicy meals are a big no
- Maintain Proper Hygiene
Maintain hygiene all throughout your recovery phase. The scalp should be clean
- Talk To Your Doctor
In case of increasing soreness, talk to your doctor immediately
The Difference Between Hair Transplant And Hair Implant
To those with limited knowledge, hair implant and hair transplant could be confusing or even the same. However, the two procedures are way different from each other. While one makes use of natural hair, the other is solely dependent on artificial fibers. Major differences between the two have been listed below:
- In case of a hair transplant, the patient is also the donor. Hair implant, on the other hand, needs no harvesting because of the use of artificially produced synthetic hair
- Transplanted hair continues to grow like the rest of the strands. Implanted hair don’t grow at all
- Even after a transplanted hair falls off, it will regrow from the same follicle. Broken or fallen synthetic hair needs to be replaced by a new fiber
- Transplants reduce the chances of rejection as the hair is your own. Implanted hair is actually foreign particles which do stand a greater risk of rejection by the body
- Transplanted hair needs 9months to a year for becoming prominently visible. Implant makes the results instantly apparent
Also read: How Hair Oil Treatment Works For Hair Loss