What to wear for interview
It is said that people form 90% of their opinion of you within some seconds of meeting you. It is absolutely needless to say, that in an interview, you have no time to correct them if they go wrong in assessing you. “The impression you create is given as much as by how you look & behave as by what you say”. It definitely includes what you wear.
So ladies out there, we have some styling tips for you for the I-day (Interview Day).
Pantsuit:Its little formal but a two-piece matched suit is always the best and safest choice. Don’t forget to check for stains, hanging threads, creases or tags. Allow time to take your suit to the dry cleaner if needed.
For non-suit work atmosphereEven if you could wear jeans to the job, or it’s a very non-suit environment, wearing a suit to the interview shows you take the interview seriously as a professional meeting. One alternative is to wear nicely pressed pencil pants (like khakis or chinos) with a formal shirt/ tee and a dark jacket; less formal than a suit, but still business-appropriate for women.
Conservative Colours & materialNavy blue, black — are safe. Other colour trends may come and go, like pastels. Neutrals or very subtle woven patterns or plaids are safest. Avoid brights.
Woollens & cotton blends, or other good quality naturals like linen etc. are suitable fabrics in all seasons. Avoid lower quality synthetics.
Budget/ Cost: One good-quality suit is sufficient for a job search if that is all your budget allows. You can vary your shirt/blouse & other accessories.
AccessoriesDon’t overdo while accessorizing your interview attire. Never wear flashy or jangling jewellery like rings, bracelets, danglers, metallic hoops. Carry a compact & smart handbag preferably satchel in neutral colour/ pattern matching your outfit.
Makeup & HairstyleIf your hair is long, put it up in a bun or if leaving open they should be styled/ tied in a way that they don’t fall on face. Most women nowadays prefer short hair. It’s easy to manage chopped mane. It’s less time consuming and makes you look smarter & bolder in a jiffy. Very light makeup is more than enough. A hint of blush on cheeks in earthy tones/ pinks, kajal & a stroke of eyeliner is all you need. No gloss & shine here please!
HandsMake sure your hands are neat & nails, well manicured. Remember that it’s a very important point.
FootwearYou should put on shoes/ sandals of conservative type. They should be clean & well polished. Your feet should be well pedicured. Save those 5-inch stilettoes for your dinner date.
There are lots of things which can usefully be said in respect of dress and appearance for interview. Some of them are:
- Avoid extremes because employers are excessively cautious of it. This denotes that you must not attend an interview in casual clothes. You must never wear the kind of best clothes which are likely to make you the centre of attraction at a party. Remember that this is the same case with wearing sunglasses as well. The reason is not far to seek.
- You must wear something in which you feel comfortable & confident to present yourself.
- In case you have the chance to visit, in advance, the gates of the organization/ workplace, you can see the sort of clothes people are wearing. You must dress slightly more smartly than those people. Else, you can always ask the employer directly & politely beforehand
- Interview clothes should never be startling. Your dressing should be almost normal and immaculately neat, clean & tidy.
- If you use a perfume, make sure that it is not overpowering one.
- Do not wear brand new clothes or shoes.
- For the purpose of attending an interview, you must always dress up in a formal manner. The type of dress you put on unmistakably shows your qualities, character & personality.
- Appropriate attire supports your image as a person who takes the interview process seriously and understands the nature of the industry in which you are trying to become employed.
- Fashion changes fast & so do the styles like the width of lapels, the cut of pants, or the colors of blouses, shirts. But the basic professional attire does not change with the whims of fashion.
Don’t forget any of the above pointers. Bear in mind that interviewer has to summarise, in the short period, the essential aspects by means of the oral as well as visual appeal. The cleaner & better groomed you look, the greater will be the impression of efficiency & being in command of the situation which you give to the interviewer.
All the best for your job hunt!