Fitness is the new mantra of life. Young or old, timid or bold, everybody seems to be in a rush to get that perfect look and well-toned body. But not everyone has the time and money for gym sessions, high-protein diets or surgical treatments. A new-age workout formula, Zumba, a calorie-burning dance-fitness party developed by Alberto “Beto” Perez has taken over, turning into a phenomenal craze all over the world. Over 12 million devoted followers in 125 countries are hooked on to this fun cardio-workout. Simply grooving to the Latin beats and the ravishing rhythms can burn out your calories to an enormity. It’s time to abandon the heavy workout schedule and join the party, folks!
Zumba in India also has its own adaptation. We have Zumba sessions based on Bollywood music too to suite the Indian taste. It surely is a fun and addictive way to burn calories!
The Inception – History of Zumba
“Accidentally” created by Perez in the 90s, Zumba initially just sprung on as an improvisation of a Latin-based mix at a dance aerobic class. In 2001, Perez joined hands with entrepreneurs Alberto Perlman and Alberto Aghion and carried forward this new sizzle, making it one of the world’s largest dance-fitness program. Zumba Fitness has taken the globe by storm with around 110,000 locations offering classes spread all around the world. The trio established the Zumba academy hiring professionals to teach classes, launched designer apparels and DVDs with a brand new music sequence.
On The Dance Floor
A regular class is scheduled for 60 minutes topped with numerous styles and forms such as merengue, salsa, cumbia, reggaeton, mambo, samba, belly-dancing and hiphop, set to high-pace international beats. The session makes you comfortable and relaxed as you’re simply moving to the beats and you don’t have to put an extra effort to burn the fat. It’s more like a choreographed party. Why spend hours on the treadmill staring at the calorie scale when you can enjoy the music and loose calories?!
Zumba strikes up a perfect combination of an aerobic dance and a total-body workout. It is a form of exercise that doesn’t seem like you are exerting, yet imparts all the advantages of it. From head and shoulder rolls to the curves along your hips, thighs, abs and butt and from the belly movements to the constant footwork strengthening ankles. The Zumba Fitness involves your entire body in motion from head to toe. And the best thing about it is you don’t even know you’re making an effort to get fit, it comes naturally and above all you enjoy it! There is a smile on your face during and after the workout session.
Tally Your Preferences
For different set of people with different choices, six different types of classes have been prepared.
The regular 60-minute class which was initially formed to hook on the masses and introduce them to this fun-fitness formula.
This has been created keeping in mind the body style and capabilities of senior citizens. The moves and sequences have been modified such that it suits them.
This is a kids-friendly set-up. All the young ones in the age group of 4 to 12 years are eligible in here. The choreography is made simpler and distinct so that they can understand easily. Peppy and fresh tracks are included to make it a fun atmosphere.
This is for the hardcore fitness enthusiasts. The dance movements are collaborated with light weights and toning exercises making it a high-energy workout session.
For the experimental ones who love adventure, this is perfect. The dance styles are combined with daring water-based workout schemes.
Zumba in the Circuit
Developed especially for the people who have time-constraint in their busy schedules, this one takes up only 30 minutes but yields the same outcome.
FAQs – All You Need To Know
- Is it only for women – Since it is a dance based workout, most men are bound to feel shy to join the classes. But it is only a myth that Zumba is made for women. Men get incredible effects while having a ball at the party.
- How much time to be spared – The best part is that whenever you feel comfortable and your schedule allows you, you can make a choice with the time slot for the classes thrice a week, be it morning or evening.
- What’s the cost involved – The approximate cost for Zumba lessons range from around Rs.1500 to 2000 per month. However, a three-month or six-month pact is also available with striking discounted rates.
- Any diet restictions – There are no strict rules for the diet when you get engaged with Zumba. Nevertheless, you need to take care that your intake involves healthy and protein-rich supplements. Extra fattening or sweetening products should be avoided completely as they lead to no results or even opposite effects. But, you’re absolutely free to give yourself a small treat once a week.
- What makes you a Zumba addict – Apart from being a splendid stress buster, Zumba is a marvellous way to socialize and get-together. No wonder, the crowd keeps coming back to rock and roll every time!
With numerous health benefits and multiple advantages that can make you well-toned, slim and fit, Zumba is the key for fitness freaks. Rocking to the varied rhythms in high pace and slow pace can burn out upto 400 to 800 calories in an hour. Not just a cardio-workout, instead Zumba is the best way to get active, have fun, party hard and socialize. So what are you waiting for? Pick up your dancing shoes and go Zumba style!!!